The best Father’s day Meals with an Italian Twist
Vibrant and upbeat, Italian cuisine is full of life. Rooted in colourful art, lively music, succulent food and close-knit families, it is overflowing with life.
With the family being the heart of society, it’s no surprise that Italian culture combines passion for food with love for their families. Sharing food with loved ones is greatly emphasised and is a gesture Italians worldwide enjoy carrying out.
With father’s day coming up, family time is even more important and what better way of celebrating than adopting the Italians love of sharing food and preparing a meal for the family? Here are some Italian dishes you can try out on Father’s Day.
A classic favourite worldwide and bursting with flavour, this filling dish will be a win win meal for the family. Drenched is a rich red Bolognese sauce and full of meaty goodness, we know you’ll love it.
1. Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp of olive oil
2. Add in 2 finely chopped medium onions and fry on high heat for around 2-3 minutes
3. Mix in 2 cloves of crushed garlic and 500g minced beef, fry until browned
5. Add a 400g of chopped tomatoes, 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1tbs tomato puree, 300ml hot beef stock and a little soya sauce.
6. Bring to boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes, occasionally stirring
7. Cook 350g of spaghetti in salted boiling water
8. Drain the spaghetti and add to pan with a splash of olive oil. Stir and then add in the Bolognese sauce
9. Finish off with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and serve hot with a side of crusty bread
Frutti di mare
With a mixture of sea food delicacies all tossed into a flavourful Ariabiatta sauce, topped with pasta, this ‘dish of the sea’ is perfect for all the sea food loving dad’s out there.
1. Salt a large pot of water and bring to boil. Add in the spaghetti and cook according to the packet instructions. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the salted water to use later
2. Heat up a large skillet on medium low flame. Add in the olive oil and melt the butter
3. Add in 1/2 cup diced red onions, 4 cloves of diced garlic and crushed red peppers. Sauté for around 4 minutes or until tender
4. Pour in ½ cup white wine or white wine vinegar. Cover with a lid and simmer until reduced by half
5. Add in 3 tbsp tomato paste, 1 ½ cups of halved tomatoes, ½ cup clam juice and the reserved salted water. Stir until combined
6. Add in the mussels, clams and shrimps. Remove the shrimps once pink and curled. Cook the mussels and clams for around 4 minutes until the shells open before removing them and setting them aside. Discard any unopened shells
7. Simmer until the sauce thickens before adding in the pasta and 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
8. Add the seafood to reheat
9.Serve up with a finishing touch of parsley
Tip – use whatever your local seafood market has in stock. Why not check out Camseng At Home for a huge variety of fresh seafood.
Homemade pizza dough with toppings
This easy homemade pizza dough is quick and easy to make and is the perfect dish to get your family involved in.
1. Preheat the oven to the highest setting. Add in either pizza stones or 2 large baking trays
3. Make a well in the centre and add 2 tbsp olive oil
4. Add in 225ml of water. Mix and bring to a dough
5. On a floured surface, knead the dough for 1 minute, just until smooth. Leave to rest under an upturned bowl whilst you prepare your pizza toppings
6. Now the fun part. Making the pizza! Form individual balls of dough then roll out to around 20cm in diameter
7. Prepare some parchment paper and sprinkle semolina across it. Place the rolled out dough onto the parchment paper and stretch out by pressing with your fingertips until around 30cm in diameter. Indent a crust around the pizza base. The middle should be around 5mm depth and the crust around 1cm
8. Spread your desired sauce and get creative with your toppings. Be careful not to overload the pizza with toppings or the pizza may become soggy.Drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle a few herbs over the pizza
9. Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes until the base starts to rise
10. Slide onto the pizza stones or preheated baking trays and bake for 10-15 minutes until the base is golden and crisp.