Your garden dinner party inspiration right here
As lockdown and restrictions are lifting, and summer is peeking around the corner, what is it time for?
It’s garden party time!
Now that six people (or two households) can mix outside, it is due time to throw a garden dinner party or a long overdue BBQ with the best garden party food! Camseng’s online supermarket will make the shopping easy – and we have some delicious recipe ideas to please every palate.
So, invite your closest friends and bring on the buffet with mouth-watering garden party foods!
Turn your garden into a dinner party central!
Fairy lights, candles and even lanterns turn any garden into a warm, inviting setting.
Decorate your table with spring flowers, or lay blankets and cushions on the ground for a more intimate setting.
Worried about the weather? You can hire tents for private gardens for a garden party that your friends or family won’t soon forget!
What is on the menu?
Finger foods are essential garden party foods while sizzling meat and skewers (among other things!) crown a barbecue. You could go for a theme like an antipasti platter, seafood luncheon or keep it classic with popular picnic foods such as mini pizzas and coleslaw.
Think of your guests’ dietary needs, too, but the beauty of a buffet is in the choice – there is something for everyone!
Here are recipes for three of our favourite garden party foods.
Vegetarian Summer Rolls with Dipping Sauce
These fresh and healthy summer rolls are equally popular with vegetarians and meat-eaters!
2 red bell pepper
2 yellow bell pepper
2 orange pepper
2 cups carrots (grated)
½ red cabbage (sliced thinly)
1 tsp ginger (finely minced)
1. Prepare the vegetables. Wash and slice the peppers and cucumber into thin sticks. Thinly slice the cabbage and peel, then grate the carrots.
2. Get a container with hot water for the rice paper. Place each wrap into the water for about 30s to make it pliable to work with. (Place a new wrapper in the container when you start wrapping each one.)
3. Lay the wrapper on a cutting board or a clean work surface.
4. Add a little of each of the vegetables to the middle of the wrapper and top with two leaves of coriander.
5. Fold the sides in first, then roll from the side nearest to you to the other end. The rice paper will stick to itself. Continue making rolls until you run out of the ingredients (makes about 20).
Sweet Potato and Turkey Burgers
A healthier version of a regular BBQ burger! Alternatively, grill these beauties on the BBQ.
4 bacon strips (finely chopped)
450g ground turkey
½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
1 tsp dried basil
Dijon mustard (optional)
1. Cook the bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tbsp of drippings. Set the frying pan aside. Combine bacon with turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs, Parmesan, coriander, basil, cumin and soy sauce. Mix well, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C. Cut the sweet potatoes into 20 slices about ½ inch thick. Place the slices on an oven tray with baking paper and bake until the potatoes are tender but not mushy (roughly 30-35mins). Remove slices from the oven.
3. Heat the frying pan with the drippings over medium-high heat. Shape the turkey mixture into a burger shape. Cook in patches, 3-4mins each side. Add a pinch of grated cheese after flipping each burger for the first time. Cook until cooked through and when the juices run clear.
4. Stack ‘em up! Place a turkey burger in between slices of sweet potatoes with a dab of mustard. Pierce with a cocktail stick to serve.
Breaded Chicken Skewers
Quick, easy and juicy - perfect garden party food! Serve with your favourite sauce or dip from Camseng’s online supermarket!
1. Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with foil and brush with oil.
2. Add the marinade ingredients to a bowl and stir.
3. Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the marinade, coating the chicken thoroughly. Marinade for 30 mins for best flavour.
4. Pierce the chicken pieces through the bamboo skewers until all meat is used up. Roughly 4-6 pieces per skewer.
5. Beat the eggs and place the breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip each chicken skewer in the egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs until fully coated. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over the skewers.
6. Bake in the oven for 10 mins, turning when browned and continue to bake until they are crispy and golden (around 15-20mins).
7. Serve warm with your favourite dip!
Make sure to tag @camsengathome in your Instagram photos as you enjoy a long overdue catch up with your friends over a garden party buffet!